Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Reverb 10: Day 21 for N

Day 21 Prompt: Future self. Imagine yourself five years from now. What advice would you give your current self for the year ahead? (Bonus: Write a note to yourself 10 years ago. What would you tell your younger self?)

I have absolutely no idea where I'll be or what I'll be doing five years from now, and I'm really excited about that. The advice I'd give my future self involves the same things I've been blogging about almost every day now:

Don't stand in your own way. Take advantage of every opportunity and the freedom that you currently have. If you make a wrong choice, learn from it rather than kicking yourself. Be bold and brave while staying true to yourself. Live your life by your own timeline rather than society's.

As for what I'd tell 20-year-old N:

After college, it won't matter what grades you made or what classes you took. Experiences, both in work and in life, teach you the majority of what you need to learn. Don't let anyone convince you that you need to act a certain way or that there is something wrong with you. Don't be so afraid of telling people things they don't want to hear that it takes a toll on your own life. Cut the wrong people out, and let the right people in. If you let the wrong people in, don't let the bad experiences taint your future, because not everyone is the same. Make sure you read firsthand the ingredients on all packaged food in case someone's trying to sneak you some walnuts. Don't drink an Irish car bomb after the Bailey's has curdled in the Guinness.

I also have one piece of advice for the R of 2000: Put anti-frizz serum in your hair if you know you're about to be caught in a drama-fest on the side of the street all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment