Friday, April 9, 2010

Take a Look, It's in a Book

Aw, remember Reading Rainbow? Fun stuff.

I'm trying to keep my Visual Bookshelf updated and thought I'd share some of my fave recent reads. I'm not including the more popular books that everyone has already read. If anyone out there has good book recommendations, I would looove them. A girl needs something to do while laying by the pool all summer.

The Help, by Kathryn Stockett: This is a pretty big book which I thought would last me awhile, but no. I couldn't put it down during my 7 hour flight to visit R. Even though it's about a serious topic (segregation in the South), it's really entertaining and heartwarming.

Moloka'i, by Alan Brennert: I felt a little ignorant when reading this because I had no idea how the US treated people with leprosy in Hawaii back in the day. Once again, I was pleasantly surprised to find that this wasn't actually a depressing book. It was similar to reading any other novel that follows a girl throughout her life, except that this girl faced some extraordinary circumstances.

Love Walked In, by Marisa de los Santos: "Exquisite and stylish, Love Walked In proves that love in all of its forms - romantic, friendship, familial - is all around us." -Sarah Jessica Parker. I'll leave it at that.

The Toss of a Lemon, by Padma Viswanathan: This is an epic story that follows a family in Indian over more than 60 years. It can get confusing at times because there are so many characters, but it's worth it. There are lots of great little stories, both tragic and intriguing, contained in one large one.

The Palace of Illusions, by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni: I don't know much about the Mahabharata, and maybe this book would have been easier to follow if I did. Either way, I pushed through it because I wanted to read something different from my norm. It was magical and educational and features a super strong woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment