Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Book of Face

It seems like every other day I get into a discussion about the pros and cons of facebook.  Usually it's with people who are strongly against it (even if they're members).  The argument, as you can guess, is that it allows people to stalk you and you're faced with learning random facts about random people you don't care about.


I get it.  It's often a total waste of time and brain cells.  More importantly, it can entice bullying and FOMO.*  Plus, those people who use facebook to give people a false impression that their life is perfect...well, they're just lame.


That being said, I have to admit that this one little website is a huge part of my life.** As I pondered R's question about making new friends, I realized that facebook has helped me tons.  Friendships are all about "me too!" moments, right?  Well, when we share the minutiae of our lives with the free world, we will inevitably find someone out there who has the same habit, loves the same restaurant, is stuck in the same airport, whatever.  And it creates a great sense of community.  I'm bad at talking about myself, and I think twice before posting some things that might appear boring to others, but you know what? It rarely hurts.  As I try to build friendships in a new place, those new acquaintances who are in my network are able to learn the tiniest things about me (and vice versa), and we're forced to keep in touch and bond.  It's harder to forget about people when their business is all up in your web browser.


Speaking of keeping in touch, that's an obvious plus.  I hate calling people.  99% of my facebook friends are people I wouldn't call anyway.  So this site does not keep me from human interaction - it allows me to keep in touch with people I would otherwise let float away and to be more updated on the family/friends I do talk to often...and to "meet" people I otherwise would not know...and to feel like I'm right there when old friends have a reunion. :)


*Fear of missing out.  I'm so glad there's finally a term for this condition.
**FYI, I take people off my news feed if they annoy me and never post things I wouldn't want my parents to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment