Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Peter Pan Complex

Two different blogs that I follow posted today about being a grown-up. More specifically, about the things we figured we'd just miraculously know when we reached that mighty adult status. Honestly? I still feel like a kid about 42% of the time, and I'm glad about that.

Read
this post about faking it, because I couldn't describe it nearly as well as that writer does. I totally fake it. I nod and smile or just throw out go-to phrases when it comes to things I "should" know about finances or work or relationships or homeownership or the world.* What I'm wondering now is if everyone else is faking the same things. Are we running around thinking we're clueless when, in fact, no one actually has any idea what the hell he or she is talking about? Are some of us also freaking out about not knowing what to do with our lives or not accomplishing what we expected by now and not realizing that everyone else has the same concerns? If so, maybe we should all stop faking it. Then we'd just feel normal in comparison. This calls for a pro/con list about adulthood.
  • Pro: being able to do whatever you want without answering to anyone (within reason)
  • Con: having to make your own decisions when sometimes it would be easier to have mommy and daddy just tell you what to do
  • Pro: earning money
  • Con: managing money
  • Pro: dressing like an adult
  • Con: wondering when you're too old to shop in certain stores or when certain outfits are inappropriate for your growing curves
  • Pro: feeling accomplished when you successfully complete "grown up" milestones
  • Con: feeling pressured to achieve said milestones
I obviously have a love/hate relationship with aging. In general, I lean towards loving it. :)

*Note that I did not mention pop culture or food. Those are two things I never have to fake. I'm so useful and intelligent.

BTW...

No comments:

Post a Comment