Thursday, March 17, 2011

How Can I Drown When I'm Not in Water?

I know that we typically keep this blog light with pictures of food and rants of fashion.  However, in true spirit of an "online diary," I'll be the downer (which is unlike me, and in 15 minutes I'll try to delete this post).

N wrote about the Peter Pan syndrome the other day.  When I read that post, I slowly realized that I feel overwhelmed.  When I mentioned this to G$, he said "you always feel like that" (man - testosterone sure makes them  smooth talkers who always know what to say).  After my conversation with him, I started thinking...and if I always feel like that (which I don't), does it mean that I'm drowning in my adult responsibilites. 

People who know me and see me consistently, may sit back and say "really - you?  even for a spaz, you look like you have it together."  What can I say, I'm a fabulous actress.  When I was a kid, I put 115% into everything so I wouldn't disappoint my parents.  As I went thru college, my competitive nature continued so that I wouldn't get the lowest grade in my class and then lose pride with my study buddies (in my world, having the second lowest was ok - so that's what I aimed for).  But as an adult, I find the most overwhelming thing being that its impossible to find the one important item you can't fail at - they're all equally important.

Lately, I've realized that between work travels, personal life, love life, family and myself - I have no time left. 
  • If I miss the gym, I disappoint myself
  • If I don't excel at my job and am the best one on my team (I seriously asked my boss the other day if I was going to get a bad grade - WTH is wrong with me) - I then disappoint the people who hired me, and provide confirmation to those who didn't want to hire me.
  • If I don't call my friends back (which I've been awful about lately), I feel like I'm being a bad friend
  • If I don't have patience for my husband or family, those are the parties that I'm disappointing
And I honestly feel like that there's demands on these things daily.  Don't get me wrong, I love my good friends (ones that don't judge me and those who don't say hurtful things to me), my job, working out, my husband and my family - but I have my moments when I'm stretched really thin.

Any advice out there from people who've felt the same way?

No comments:

Post a Comment