Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Life Roles - A New One I Like :)

As we grow older, there are many roles we all play in life.  So far, I've played the role of:  Daughter (both rebellious and perfect :P), Friend, Girlfriend, Fiance, Co-Worker, and as of two years ago, wife.

This wife one is interesting to me.  The dictionary defines wife as:  "a woman joined in marriage to a man; a woman considered in relation to her husband; spouse."  I guess the dictionary neglects to mention what the role actually entails.  I feel like this is the main one that is different based on the relationship, person, country, age, etc. 

For my mom, a good wife is one who has a hot meal and a clean house waiting for her husband.  Nothing wrong with this definition - its just not how I see things.  For some, a wife is a companion to her husband.  They are joined by love and share common experiences and a life together.  For others, a wife is a person they are joined to by law but don't necessarily share a life with.  They have their own life that is parallel to their wives.  For me,  I don't know if I have a clear role definition yet.  I think its a combination of all the things written above.  I definitely think that at first, I defined my success as a wife based on my mother's definition.  The latest appeal of this role is being the charming other half at work related events.  When the relationship first starts, I spent so much time charming friends and family that I forgot that I still "had" it and that my husband found it appealing.  In the past few weeks, I've had G$ ask me to attend various work events and I've even been invited by his fellow peers (I'm going to a "tweetup" in a few weeks because I was asked to attend with him).  I think this is my favorite part of the role. 

So for the time being, here's what I see as my role as the wife in our family:  CFO, Secretary (G$ double books us ALL THE TIME because he can't use the Google Calendar), the one who networks (remembers birthdays, gifts, cards, etc), and my favorite:  the intelligent and hot (haha, i had to throw something vain in!) lady on my husbands arm while he works. 

I realize that the last part of it is a bit old fashioned...but that's the kind of lady I am. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment