Sunday, March 25, 2012

Marriage Myths

Inspired by Miss N's post on Dating Myths, I wanted to write a post on Marriage Myths.  Now, as Miss N and I have been discussing both dating or marriage have some great advantages and times when the grass is greener on the other side.  


So with that, let's get started:


Myth Number 1:  Once you're married, that's it and now you don't have to try.  
I can't tell you how wrong this is.  I once thought that this was true as well, but then you get married.  I quickly learn that you have to try MORE.  Sure, you live together and see each other all the time, but that's truly in a "roommate" fashion.  It takes effort and time to put aside a date night, put away your phones, and say "no" to hanging out with friends.  And I have to remember to shave my legs beforehand, which somehow I forgot when I got married.


Myth Number 2:  The first year is super easy, as is all the years following.
I remember the week before my wedding, my aunt and mother tried to sit me down and prepare me for the first year post wedding.  I LAUGHED at them!  Not even a small giggle, a full belly laugh telling them that they were insane.  Well kids, its true.  Now, the first year really does help with the rest, but it's hard.  Adjusting to being married, having a opposite roommate, and having a new family can all take its toll.  But hanging up the wedding photos truly helped keep focused....as well as a good group of girlfriends you can talk to.


Myth Number 3:  This is really focused to the Indian culture.  Once you're married, you have instant credibility with adults, and can now be treated as such.
Well, this one is true if you're male, but if you're female - there are now two sets of parents who think you're a child.   I can't even say more than this, it's just silly.  If someone asks me again if I'm "taking care of my health" and that I should "stop travelling" I may scream.


Myth Number 4:  People won't start asking about kids and family planning until year 4 or 5 of marriage.
LIES!  ALL LIES!  I actually think people started asking me about kids ON OUR WEDDING DAY (maybe even the same people who signed the guest book addressed to my sister and my husband.


Myth Number 5:  Two incomes are better than one.
This would be true if men didn't have any expensive hobbies or interests.  For example, I'm happy working out at any gym - fancy or not.  As long as there's some classes and some ellipticals, I'm set.  However, men have expensive hobbies and interests.  So my gym membership is literally 7x more than it needs to be, so G$ can enjoy tennis and his tennis teams.  And that's just one example.  I'm sure he'd tell you he doesn't understand why a gal needs so many shoes and clothes.


For you married gals out there, any myths from you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment