Saturday, March 3, 2012

Dating Myths

Society and movies perpetuate a lot of misconceptions about marriage, parenting, beauty, and even friendships. Some of the lies can be weeded out based on common sense, but for others we unfortunately have to rely on experience.
Now, I don't mind dating. It's fun to meet new people. So I'm not bitter, but every now and then I get frustrated.


  • Myth 1: A guy will never turn his back on a girl who is even mildly attractive with a non-heinous personality. Maybe this was true in college. I don't think this is true later in life. Of course there's nothing wrong with being selective (because we girls surely are - and people should look for real compatibility). However, girls who believe this myth and are subsequently rejected begin thinking "What the hell is so bad about me that kept this merely semi-normal guy from asking me out again?" It's not fun.

  • Myth 2: A guy will always pay on the first date, especially if the date was his idea. This is definitely true for some, and I appreciate that. I love hearing the statement "Stop it. There's no way I'm letting you pay." It's more of a bonus point than a requirement. Plus, I always at least reach for my wallet. I must say though - I've put down money to split drinks or dinner on 4 of the past 7 dates I've been on. I rationalize it by thinking that maybe the guy goes on lots of dates which gets expensive, or maybe he thinks I'm a feminist who'd be insulted, or maybe he's not interested and doesn't want to waste money on me. The last one is thrown out the window sometimes because a couple of those people have wanted to go out again. Honestly though, whatever the reason, this myth just makes me think, "Was the past hour so torturous for this guy that he won't even fork over $10 for my drink?" It has nothing to do with the money, just the principle. It also confuses me, because I don't know if I'm supposed to follow up to thank him for the date when he didn't really do anything.

  • Myth 3: Girls have it so easy, they're guaranteed to walk into a party or get-together and have any guy they want. That's just a lie. Period.

I will inevitably debunk more lies that are floating around out there. Stay tuned. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment