Friday, June 18, 2010

R's Culinary Adventure

For those who know me (and love me), you know how much I appreciate good food.  It doesn't have to be fancy, just really good food that's shared with friends and amazing wine.  I am like a child, and LOVE celebrites.  So what is better than a celebrity chef restaurant...NOTHING! :)  (well...except a certain celebrity chef feeding me grapes while i lounge around like Cleopatra...but that's another story).

SO!  I must share my great dining experiences in the past week, the one I'm looking forward to this weekend, and the one I'm SO excited for in Vegas over 4th of July.

Experience One:  The Depot:  Great restaurant down in Southern California.   I had a client meeting here, and everything on the menu looked amazing.  I settled for a plate of grilled veggies so I wouldn't be too full, and it was the best veggies I've ever had!  The veggies also came with curried lentils and potato somosas - which were almost as good as my mom's - enough said.  The chef was voted "Rising Star of American Cuisine by James Beard."  My client told me that they do a solid chocolate bento box (Choco, Choco, Choco, Choco, Nuts & Berries) - all sorts of ice cream - mouse, ice cream, vanilla bean ice cream, truffles, should i say more?!!?!

Experience Two:  Red O by Rick Bayless:  Gravy Train and I were both in LA for work, so we decided to go here for dinner.  What can we say - we were on Melrose, dressed up like professionals, about to embark on an amazing Mexican journey!  The interior was dark and lounge-y, the food was amazing, drinks were to die for...all in all, YUM!  Gravy Train had a honeydew and cucumber infused margarita, her coworker had a serrano chili mojito - talk about AWESOME flavors!  At the end of the evening, we heard a noise and looked up to see the restaurant closing the glass ceilings and glass walls - turns out we had been sitting OUTSIDE THE ENTIRE TIME!  I still get chills thinking about that meal...especially the ceviche...and the goat cheese cheesecake (a bite size pecan bar, with a dollop of goat cheese with a caramel corn on top...).  Excuse me while I wipe up my drool.

Experience Three (to happen TOMORROW!):  Bottega by Michael Chiarello:  When D told me that we were going here TOMORROW, I told her that all bets were off if Michael Chiarello was there and that she could hold my rings.  I know he tends to be an a$$, but something about him is so handsome..AND he can cook!  I'm so excited, I will be sure to provide a full debrief on Monday.

Experience Four (to happen FOURTH OF JULY weekend):  RM Seafood by Rick Moonen:  He was one of my favorite Top Chef Masters contestant this year.  Bummed that he lost :(  G and I ate here 2 years ago while we were in Vegas, and we're excited to introduce my dad to it.  Here's all I'm going to say:  tower of raw seafood, truffle mac and cheese, beef tartar.  If you haven't eaten here and these words make your mouth water, I suggest you get on the first flight to Vegas!

There's also a trip to Sonoma next weekend to celebrate 730.50 days of "marital bliss" :)  There may possibly be a "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" stop, I'll keep you people posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment