Friday, June 18, 2010

Brownies by a Brownie

About twice a year, I get a huge urge to bake. The problems with this are that I suck at baking, I hate having a bunch of ingredients that I will never use again, and I need people to push the goodies off onto so that I don't eat them all. This week I made brownies for my coworkers - from scratch, no mix this time! They turned out quite yummy, not too rich but still a bit fudgy. The original recipe is here, and my "healthier," larger recipe is below.

Ingredients
3 tbsp instant coffee
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 2/3 cups sugar
1 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup eggbeaters
handful peanut butter chips

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13 baking pan with aluminum foil.

Combine coffee granules and hot water, stirring until the coffee granules dissolve.

Combine applesauce and semisweet chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 20 second intervals and stir until chocolate is smooth and melted.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, unsweetened cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine coffee mixture, chocolate mixture, vanilla extract, and eggbeaters in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add coffee mixture to flour mixture; stir just until combined. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle evenly with peanut butter chips and more chocolate chips. Bake at 350°F for ~20 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.


P.S. This foray also involved no-bake lemon squares. Easy peasy, right? Um no, not for Miss N. DisASSter.

No comments:

Post a Comment