Thursday, January 24, 2013

Wow....We are Old?

Early 30's doesn't actually classify as old, especially when the median age in America is 37 (fun fact from "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" today).

However, in the past few months there have been some light-hearted comments and some serious events that terrify me and make me realize that we are getting older.  

Now, even though I've seen many friends marry and have children, somehow that doesn't make them old to me.  Maybe it's the fact that they are always willing to have a good time, or after a night of no sleep, their behavior reminds me of a time when they had one too many cocktails...or I had one too many...or we both did :)  For the most part, the ones that have had children are still "young" except with a new mini-me.

Here are some highlights that have sparked "woah - when did we get to be so old?"


  • Conversation with a coworker in Vegas (after we got in for free after some name dropping but that's another story):  "What is happening here?  People just make out in clubs?  What would their moms think?"
  • Conversation with N:  "I hate standing at bars, and I hate lines...and I hate having things spilled on my shoes.  Why is the music so loud?!"
  • Conversation with myself:  "I am over push up bras...they make my back hurt"
  • In the car with G, I will often times turn up the radio so I can dance around to catchy tunes (Hello Will.I.Am and Britney!) and sing along, G will quickly turn the radio down and say "if you want me to hear you, this needs to be at 3-4"
  • My brother driving me around in my car.  (sidenote:  i was just learning to drive when he was born)
  • Same brother's honor's biology (who also teaches AP anatomy) teacher was the assistant wrestling coach when N and I were mat girls in high school.  The teacher was also young enough to meet one of our high school peers when she was in college (he in grad school) and get engaged to her.
  • Seeing friends go thru real events - like health scares, tumors, cancer, divorce.  
  • Sitting with a Financial Planner and having a "real" retirement plan to execute on.  Good bye Ferragamo dreams made of calfskin.  
There are so many conversations and events that spark this "wow we're old" moment.  Except for the scary stuff, being "old" is better than being 19 and in college trying to figure out who I was.

Forget the serious stuff, what lighthearted things make you feel old?  Oh, did I also mention that I creak when I stand and my lower back always hurts after sleeping in beds that are not my own?


1 comment:

  1. Ha! Love this:) Right there with ya. I've always felt like a baby, but now that I'm having a baby, I feel reaall old. Especially when I look in the mirror.. I see this pregnant belly and can't believe I lost my waist. Then I turn around, and it looks like my butt is pregnant too. What the crap? I look like a mom.

    ReplyDelete