Thursday, September 2, 2010

R's 30 Before 30: Become a US Citizen

Yup - that's right, I am now a US citizen, one that is legally recognized by her married name!

It was quite a whirlwind of a process that I'll outline below:
  • Submitted my application (and $600+) around Memorial Day weekend
    • Mind you - there are 30 questions inquiring if you've been a hooker or a prostitute
  • Had to get fingerprints taken on July 12th (mind you the day after AA's wedding weekend - I had the shakes from the lack of champers in my body)
  • Received my notice for an interview on August 18th
    • Was shaking because I was so nervous
    • Was convinced there was a conspiracy to stump me, b/c I'm so awesome - so I overstudied
      • How did I overstudy?  I made flashcards and forced N to ask me thousands of questions over gchat during our work day
    • Passed the test
      • Seriously tho, I had to write a sentence of 3 words "We pay taxes"
        • Yuck, I hate taxes
    • Was told that my marriage certificate looks fake
      • SERIOUSLY!?  How does the ONLY american document in my file look fake?!
    • Finally the guy agreed that my marriage certificate was in fact a real document
    • Scheduled my oath for September 23rd
  • Received on August 22, that my oath would happen on August 26
    • Freaked out because it meant my parents coudn't come
    • Had great friends and MIL and hubby who all made it to my oath
      • Thousands of pictures and LIVE video :)
    • Was amused that NO one spoke English in the oath ceremony
    • My seat neighbors thought I was insane
    • Received a certificate and started the name change process on all my documents
  • Celebrated with wine / cheese / awesome food / great friends
YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment