Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Ni Time

I consider myself part introvert and part extrovert.  As much as I enjoy socializing, I have to balance it out with some time during which I don't have to talk to anyone.  Since I live alone, it's not hard to find that time.  The hard part is disconnecting - at home, my habit is to simultaneously watch TV, gchat, facebook, check out my finances, etc., etc. so that I'm still somehow interacting with the world.

When I found that this past Saturday was entirely mine, with no set plans, I opted to spend the day in San Francisco by myself.  I frequent the city but always schedule it around meeting up with friends/family.  It was a lovely day that went something like this...

8am:  Woke up.  Cursed myself for waking up "early," then realized I had slept for almost 10 hours so it was ok.  Turned on MTV2 to watch Saved by the Bell (YES, it's on every Saturday morning!).

9am:  Rolled out of bed.  Talked to the fam on the phone and wrote some emails.

10am:  Got ready and headed out.

11am:  Hit up the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market.  Made a beeline for some Blue Bottle Coffee.  Got a whole wheat orange and currant scone (sadly, scuffins were sold out).  Sat down near the live music with a view of the Bay Bridge and had my breakfast.  **Note:  I'm too lazy to eat in restaurants alone unless traveling for work.  However, this kind of eating alone is totally doable.

12am:  Sampled fruit and chocolate around the market.  Scoped out the handmade goods.  Wandered over to the stores in the Embarcadero Center.

2pm:  Arrived at Zazen (randomly found through a bloomspot deal) an hour before my scheduled massage.  Opted for a free sonic massage.  This involved listening to a track of sounds for 45 minutes while lying on a water bed that sonicated in time with the track.

3pm:  Began my aromatherapy massage session.

4:30pm:  Left the spa, almost weak from relaxation.

In sum, my point is this:  Even if the only time that you can be alone is during your commute to work, during a nice long shower, or during those 10 minutes when the kids and/or husband are asleep, savor it.  It's kind of awesome.  And necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment