Saturday, September 15, 2012

On a serious note...

The recent events in Libya are tragic.  I feel for those who were targeted and attacked, those who lost family members, those who have to live among violence every day, and those who have to figure out how to clean up this mess.  One of the main things that disturbs me is that it's another reminder of the prevalence of religious persecution.  Do we really still have to face this issue that's existed for centuries plus all of the new issues introduced by modern society?

Call me naive, but I just don't get it.  I don't get why people care about the religious affiliations of their neighbors or politicians or strangers on the other side of the world, as long as they aren't harming anyone.  If someone is an upstanding citizen who tries to do good for others, does motivation really matter?  Why should we care if his/her actions are induced by a desire to go to heaven, a desire to become a liberated soul through reincarnation, a desire to please ancient ancestors, or simply by upbringing and personal choices?

It's really difficult to separate religion from culture from moral code.  I really couldn't tell you which of those factors dictates individual decisions I make in my life.  I have a religion, but I don't live by each and every one of its principles, and I like to keep whatever I do or don't do private.  Unless asked, of course.  It's unfortunate when religious stereotypes prevent us from learning.  In fourth grade, a boy in my class asked if I attended church on Sundays.  When I said no, he announced to everyone that I was a devil worshiper.  They all agreed with him.  My 10-year-old self kept quiet but was furious.  Apparently, being well-behaved and doing volunteer work didn't count for anything - simply not going to a Christian church was enough to make me the devil's friend.  The sad part is that I can't blame this boy's comment on childhood ignorance.  I'm pretty sure he would think the same thing today.

Here's hoping for some change by the year 3012.

No comments:

Post a Comment